Friday, November 30, 2007

Surrealism: Part 2

So after another less than satisfying day at work, I went to the office (crew bar to all you laypeople) to unwind. Although there was a Latin themed "Salsa Fiesta" for the crew on the other side of the ship, I figured tonight would be a good night to get to bed early and catch up on some much needed rest.

After a few beers and a few games of Tekken Tag Tournament, (the 1 working arcade at the bar) I went back to my room.

My room. Fortress of solitude. Where the bunk beds are artfully decorated with purple, orange, and turquoise privacy curtains. Where fluorescent light reflects God's glory off of the large tiled linoleum floors. Where the 8 inch TV brings you 3, count 'em 3 movie channels full of uninterrupted cinematic classics such as Code Name: The Cleaner, Wild Hogs, Georgia Rules, The Last Mimzie, No Reservations, and the Santa Clause 3. This is where I wanted the Gulf of Mexico to rock me to sleep.

I opened the door only to have it abruptly stopped. A shirtless Emil (my roomate) blocked the entrance and immediately began apologizing in a frantic manner,

"Jimmy I'm sorry. I should have asked permission. It's my friend's birthday. I'm so sorry. We're hanging out. I should have asked permission....."

I took a step into the room and there were Filipinos as far as the eye could see. 3 on the bed, 2 on the floor, 2 brought there own mini stools. A small table was set up in the middle of the room full of party favors. Ribs, chicken, noodles, wine, whiskey, sodas, and some Filipino delicacies that I didn't recognize. All of a sudden from 6 inches away from my right ear,

"IT'S NOW OR NEVER. COME HOLD ME TIGHT. KISS ME MY DARLING....."

being sung in a rich tenor voice. There was some cat in the bathroom singing his heart out into a microphone attached to a karaoke machine. My intrusion didn't stop his performance. After Emil told me whose birthday it was, I wished him a happy birthday and everybody began started up at once.

"I'm so sorry. I should have asked." Emil said as he put on a T-shirt. ("Why didn't he have a shirt on?" I wondered.)

"Jimmy you want food?" from one side of the room

"Sit down. I move. Sit on the bed," from the bed

"Have some food. I make you plate. You like ribs?" from the other

"Beef, you like beef?" from somwhere.

"You like noodles? I make you plate of noodles."from the floor

"WHEN I FIRST SAW YOU. WITH YOUR SMILE SO TENDER........." from 6 inches away.

"You like Jack Daniels right? Here drink this." from the floor

"Sit down. You can sit on my chair," from somewhere.

"Toast for his birthday!" from the bed

"I'D SPEND A LIFETIME WAITING FOR THE RIGHT TIME......." in my right ear

"Happy Birthday," I said.

Sensory overload. I've partied with Emil's friends before and had a great time but this was too trippy and way too crowded for me to relax. After firing off a bunch of what I hoped were polite "no thank you's" to the numerous offers I had received, I took a shot of Jack and Coke and told everyone that I was just dropping off my bag was going to the Salsa Fiesta. After carefully stepping past everyone and everything, I tossed my bag on the top bunk and left. Dude in the bathroom was still crooning away, his non-mic-wielding hand emotionally clutching his chest while he rocked back and forth with each line.

Life on a cruise ship is a surreal existence.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

To Yimmy! To stamina! To his endurance! You want me fluff pillow? Here! Sit, I fluff pillow for you.